Triple A (Adolescent Asthma Action) School Program
What is the Triple A program?
Triple A is a free, award winning, internationally acclaimed peer education program that improves asthma self-management and smoking resilience in young people.
What are the benefits?
· Students develop asthma self-management, asthma first aid and smoking resilience skills
· Senior students develop leadership and presentation skills
· Decrease in school absences due to asthma and asthma incidents at school
How does the Triple A program work?
Step 1: Triple A Educators (university students) train volunteer Year 10-12 students to be Triple A Peer Leaders during a one-day workshop. Peer Leaders acquire skills in group facilitation and leadership.
Step 2: Peer leaders deliver four lessons to Year 7-8 students using the peer leader’s manual as a guide. Students learn about asthma self-management and smoking resilience through videos, games and activities.
Step 3: Year 7-8 students relay what they have learnt to members of the school community, through creative arts or social media.
What do schools receive?
Schools will receive the following resources:
· Student training and support from the Asthma Foundation of Victoria
· Triple A Peer Leader’s Manuals
· Triple A DVD (including 3 videos and program resources)
· Asthma first aid posters and magnets
· Assistance with student asthma care plans
· Schools can also request free parents and carers information sessions and/or update their staff asthma education.
How can you get the Triple A Program to run at your school?
Since 2013, The Asthma Foundation of Victoria has run the Triple A Program in several metropolitan and rural Victorian schools.
If you are interested in having Triple A at your school, please contact the Triple A Program Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org | M 0450 609 622 | P 03 9326 7088.
If you are from another state, please contact A/Prof Smita Shah, Project Director on email@example.com | P 02 9845 6505 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TripleAProgram
More information about the Triple A Program is also available on the University of Sydney website: http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/public-health/salsa-triple-a/